Sunday, August 30, 2009

Serenity Sunday...week 18

WOODSTOCK '69

"3 Days of Peace & Music"

(If that isn't inspirational, what is?)

This afternoon, I watched a TV Documentary that I taped. It was shown a couple of days ago on the History Channel and called 'Woodstock: Now and Then". I have to say, it was the best chronicle on the music festival I have ever seen. It was dubbed the biggest gathering of people in one spot in history (up to that point). Incredibly, there was no violence (unlike the Woodstock '99 in Rome, NY and other music festivals since then). It was full of interviews of those who were involved in the planning, pictures, film and historic information and insights, it was so interesting to me.

I was just 10 years old at the time, but remember the TV news covering the festival.



They say there were almost 500,000 young people in attendance. Imagine if you were one of the few people that lived in that small town, watching the cars and people come into town in droves! I can imagine that would scare the "JEEPERS" out of the 'townies'. But not Max Yasgur who saw this event as an expression of 'freedom of speech'. He figured out how much money his farm would lose if he leased the property to the investors, gave them the figure and it was theirs for the festival.


Since the NYS Thruway was closed and any and all roads to the grounds were socked full of people and vehicles, most of the entertainers had to be flown in.


This couple were interviewed in this documentary and are still together.
Their picture appeared on a record album of the festival.


How anyone could find their friends in this crowd is beyond me.

If you get a chance, look up this TV show on the History channel. You'll be glad you did!

1 comment:

  1. I was 17 years old at the time of Woodstock. A neighbor kid asked me if I wanted to go with him. I said no because I knew what would happen at my house if I did. If only it had happened a few months later I would have been 18 and on my own. Oh what I missed.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails